World Punjabi Organization (WPO) is an international body of Punjabis to bring about “Punjabi Renaissance”. It is a non-political body of prominent Punjabi industrialists, businessmen, sportspersons, journalists, artists and achievers in other fields from all over the globe. It was formally launched on 10th January 1998 by Shri I.K. Gujral, the then Prime Minister of India. It is actively engaged in promoting Punjabi brotherhood, folk & culture to foster social, economic and cultural bonding among Punjabis staying in over hundred countries of the world. WPO has undertaken many projects for the above causes.
Important activities organized by WPO over the years in various fields are highlighted:
- Commemoration of important events like 300 years of birth of Khalsa and 350th year of birth anniversary of Shri Guru Gobind Singh Ji at national levels by organizing various functions.
- Produced and staged mega light & sound shows – “Bole So Nihal” on tercentenary of Khalsa, Sher-e-Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh, Guru Maneo Granth, Sarbansdani Guru Gobind Singh Ji. These shows travelled all over the globe to preach rich history, cultural heritage and message of peace and harmony of the great Gurus.
- Organised Gurbani Kirtan Recitation in association with Indian Council for Cultural Relations, Ministry of Cultural Affairs, Govt. of India to celebrate 550th Birth anniversary of Shri Guru Nanak Dev ji, where Smt. Sushma Swaraj, Minister of External Affairs was the Chief Guest. Planning to celebrate in all major countries in collaboration with ICCR and Indian Missions.
- Launched World Punjabi Parliamentarians Forum to strengthen and enhance cooperation among Punjabi parliamentarians in UK, Canada, Singapore, Malaysia, New Zealand.
- Gurupurab celebrations as “Universal Brotherhood Day” at Prime Minister’s House and Rashtrapati Bhawan.
- Installed an equestrian statue of Sher-e-Punjab Maharaja Ranjit Singh in the Parliament House.
- Took many friendship-cum-business delegations to Pakistan since 1998 on the occasion of Basant to promote love and harmony in the region.
- Organized Annual World Punjabi Conferences in Dubai, London, New York, Thailand and Singapore to unite NRI community to the mainstream of India.
- Honoured accomplished Punjabis in various fields all over the globe through coffee-table book “Jewels of Punjab”.
- Scholarships to economically weak meritorious students.
- Marriage of girls of riot affected families.
- “Aye Watan Tere Liye” – Mega show in aid of Army Central Welfare Fund for martyrs of Kargil War.
- Organizing health and blood donation camps and sending relief materials to people affected by natural calamities in Gujarat, Tamil Nadu, Uttarakhand and Nepal.
- Celebration of cultural festivals like Baisakhi & Lohri to promote mutual bonding by promoting folk and Sufi music from Punjab.
- Panj Darya – Fashion Show to promote rich Punjabi culture and heritage.
- WPO honoured many Punjabi Personalities with Punjabi Rattan Award every year during Baisakhi Celebration. In past we have honoured Ujjal Dosanjh, Herb Dhaliwal, Sunil Dutt, Rajesh Khanna, Bishan Singh Bedi, Dharmandera, Dr. Nina Gill, Lord Diljit Rana, Lord Swaraj Paul, Brij Mohan Munjal and many others.