World Punjabi Organisation (WPO) is an International body of Punjabis to bring about “Punjabi Renaissance”. It is a Non-Political body of Prominent Punjabi Industrialists, Businessmen, Sportsmen, Journalists, Artists and achievers in other fields from all over the Globe. It was formally launched on 10th January 1998 by Shri I.K. Gujral, the then Prime Minister of India. It is actively engaged in promoting Punjabi Brotherhood, folk & culture to foster social, economic and cultural bondage among Punjabis staying over hundred countries of the World and have undertaken many projects.
WPO has achieved various milestones by undertaking multifarious activities all over the world to provide an insight into the inherent dynamism and vitality of Punjabi culture and heritage.
The organization has its chapters all over the world, consisting of eminent personalities which give the requisite advice and guidance to the organization to achieve its aims and objectives.
Few of its activites organized regularly over the years in the field of Cultural, Social, Educational, Spiritual and recognition of Eminent achievers in various fields are highlighted.
Social Field: –
- Marriages of Girls of Riot affected families
- Aid material sent to Kargil
- “Aye Watan Tere Liye” mega show in aid of Army Central Welfare Fund
- Relief material sent to Tsunami affected families
- Health camp and Blood donation camp
- Flagging off of relief material to Uttrakhand Flood Victims.
Cultural Field: –
- Malkit Singh Night on the Launching of WPO
- Heer Ranja ballet by artists from Scotland
- Baisakhi Celebration by artists from India and Pakistan every year
- “Punj Darya” fashion show from models and designers from both side of Punjab
- Premier of “Mahul Theek Hai” a comedy film by Jaspal Bhatti
- Friendship cum Cultural Trip to Pakistan every Basant
- Premiere of “Shaheed Udham Singh” a film by Raj Babbar
- Premiere of “Yaaran Naal Bahaaran”, “Chori Chori” movies,
Spiritual Field: –
- World Premiere of “Bole So Nihal”
- Grand Kirtan Durbar on Tricentenary celebration of Khalsa panth
- Gurpurab celebration at Prime Minister House and Rashtrapati Bhawan every year Mata ki Chowki to celebrate Navrataras
- Celebration of 400 years of Commemoration of Sri Guru Granth Sahib ji
Recognition of Achievers: –
- Punjabi NRI brotherhood lunch
- Symposium on “Enterprising Punjabis” at Vigyan Bhawan
- Lunch in Honour of Mr. Koren Dabbaransi Dy. PM of Thailand
- Felicitation of Sr. Tarlochan singh on his appointment as Chairman, National Commission for Minorities
- Felication of Sr. SS Ahluwalia on his nomination as MP Rajya Sabha
- Sr Surjit Singh Barnala Governor Andhra Pradesh, Gen. JJ Singh Governor Arunachal Pradesh, Sr. Iqbal Singh Governor Pudducherry
- Felicitation of Punjabi Parliamentarians from India and Abroad
- Dinner in honour of Sr. Analjit Singh Chairman Max India on his being conferred with Padma Bhushan award
- Life Time Achievement Award to Dr. Rattan Singh Anand and Sr. Ishar Singh Thapar Punjabi Rattan Award given to important personalities to name a few :- Ujjal Dosanjh-MP Canada, Dr. Ruby Dhalla-MP Canada, Inder Bindra-Olympian, Sr. Bishan Singh Bedi-Former Captian Indian Cricket Team, Gen. JJ Singh-Governor Arunachal Pradesh, Ms. Rajiee M Shinde-COO PTC TV, Sh. Rabinder Narayan-President PTC, Sr. Manpreet Singh Badal-MLA Punjab, Sr. Parminder Singh Dhindsa-Finance Minister, Punjab, Sr. Sukhbir Singh Badal-Dy. CM Punjab, Sr. Onkar Singh Kanwar-Chairman Apollo Tyres, Sh. Kuldip Nayar-Senior Journalist, Sh. Abhinav Bindra-Olympian Gold Medalist.
- Scholarship given to 100 students from poor families
It is felt that the joining present generation must be made aware and be part of the activities to spread the message of Punjabiyat for future generation. With this aim in view a Youth Wing of WPO is being formed. It will be the Endeavour of WPO to incorporate new and fresh ideas of the Youth Wing in its activities to take the WPO to next level.